What is a Mailing List?
A mailing list contains emails about a specific topic. Each mailing list has a list of people who have signed up with their email addresses because they are interested in the topic.
Why is a Mailing List necessary?
You have likely received multiple emails regarding the same prayer request, and have also likely missed emails such as prayer requests that you wanted to receive. The reason for these problems is that the sender controls not only the contents of the email message, but also the recipients. A mailing list allows the sender to control the contents of the email, however the recipient list is managed by the mailing list. Each person can add or remove their own email address from the list at any time. This puts you in control of the emails you receive.
Why should I sign up or subscribe?
Each mailing list handles a specific topic. If you are interested in the topic, then feel free to subscribe. This will allow you to receive email that is sent to the list by anyone who is subscribed to the list. For example, if you signed up to the prayer request mailing list, any emails that are sent to the list will automatically be sent to you.
Will I get unsolicited email (SPAM)?
When you signed up, you agreed to receive email sent from any other person also subscribed to that list. Each person subscribing to the list agreed to only send email that applies to that email list. For example, a poem should not be sent to the prayer request list, but to the inspirational list. Each email is also sent to the list administrator, so if this rule is not followed, the list administrator can inform the person and take action if the user persists in sending unrelated email to the list.
How do I subscribe to a Mailing List?
Simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. An example would be email@example.com.. Please see the full list on the mailing list web page.
What can I expect after I subscribe?
You will be sent a confirmation email asking you to either reply to the email or to click on a link. This will confirm your subscription. After confirming, you will then start to receive emails that are sent to the list and you will be able to send emails to the list.
I have subscribed to a Mailing List and I don’t see a confirmation email.
Many email systems have anti-spam filtering. Please check to ensure the confirmation email did not get blocked by your filtering.
How do I send an email to a Mailing List?
Simply send an email to the firstname.lastname@example.org. For example to send to the prayer request mailing list, send an email to email@example.com. You can also use the send email links on the mailing list web page.
How do I unsubscribe from a Mailing List?
Simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. An example would be email@example.com.
How do I change my email address if I’m already subscribed?
This is one of the advantages of a mailing list – you are in charge of your email address including changing your email address. If you do not have access to your old email, just subscribe your new email, and send a message to the webmaster to remove your old address. If you do have access to your old email, then there are two ways of achieving this.
- From your old email address you wish to unsubscribe, send a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org (see question ‘How do I unsubscribe from a Mailing list?’).
- From your new email address, send an email using the instructions from the “How do I subscribe to a mailing list” answer
- Your done!
If you wish to change your email address on multiple ACCMBC mailing lists in one operation, visit the advanced mailing list interface and perform the following steps.
- Click on one of the lists that you are subscribed to with your old email address.
- At the bottom of the page, enter your old email address and click on the button beside called “Unsubscribe or edit options”.
- You will be presented with a page with two options of interest.
- Login to your account if you wish to change your email address on multiple mailing lists. If you do not know your password, click the remind button.
- Once you have logged in, enter your new address in the “New address” field, and select the “change globally” check box and press the button “Change my address and Name”.
- Your done!
I sent an email message to a Mailing List, why don’t I see it?
There are a number of reasons for this:
- You need to be subscribed to the mailing list in order to send to it.
- Many email systems have anti-spam filtering. Please check to ensure the confirmation email did not get blocked by the filtering.
- Sometimes it takes a bit of time (~10 minutes) to post.
- There are some email lists that are read only. Emails to the Missionary and ACCMBC News mailing list can only be posted by a few select individuals. If you send an email to this list, it will be returned to you.
What if I have problems or more questions?
Please email the list administrator for the mailing list. You can find out who the list administrators are by clicking on the “More Info” links beside the name of the mailing list on the mailing list web page. Send any questions to the administrator or to the webmaster.